Sunday, 5 October 2014

A night out

Popped to the boat on Saturday for a short break down to Fradley.  The National Memorial Arboretum was hosting Ride to the Wall.  The roads were chocca with bikes - nice thing to do, well done all.

When I got to the boat I did the usual engine checks to find no water in the engine expansion tank.  Found a v slow leak at the skin tank fitting, a wee turn may do it but if not I will have the whole connection refreshed as it is a bit of a bodge job.

We waited while a bit of a rain shower passed over and set off.  Pretty quiet on the water.  Woodend Lock though - three boats in the queue, one was a total new boater and this was their first lock.  A bit of help and they seemed fine.

Shadehouse Lock was the usual easy do.  The lock house at Shadehouse is up for sale, having been compulsorily purchased by HS2.  The route has been altered to go under the canal so if you fancy a Lock house for £625,000 Google John German, a CRT mooring is avail also.  If I had the money I would not hesitate to buy it.

Our secret mooring at Fradley was available, yippee.  So we were moored in our favourite Fradley spot and no, I am not sharing the exact location.

The Morso has a minor water leak which causes the odd drip to travel down the chimney.  Over the years, before we had the boat, as I had subsequently healed the leak, the ring at the bottom of the chimney and at the top of the stove had rusted to the point that it gave way.  I pondered re what to do and decided to use some fire cement.  Excellent job, properly cured and I have even located a wee CO detector near to the stove, but not too close, for added security.  All is fine

We popped over to The Swan for a beer and early dinner.   The food was ok but just that.  A little imagination and this could be a really nice eatery.

So Sunday morning we started to head back.  Just after Shadehouse, who did we see? Jan hanging up her washing on board NB Waiouru/  Hello was said, Tom not seen, I guess he was walking.

The rest of the trip was quiet.  No repeat leak detected yet so my tinkering may have done it.  I am not taking a chance though.  I intend to have it properly fixed when Geoff Taylor is available.

We filled the water tank and gave the front deck a good hose down, removing all the current leaf drop.  It is also getting its paint job when we have the big paint in May next year.

Next trip will be October Bank Holiday, hopefully for a week if Mrs D can take the whole week off. Being a business owner (Aurelia Bioscience) has its limitations but new staff are being recruited so this should improve.

I am planning on early (very early)  retirement so we are saving like loons, very difficult to do with 11 and 17 year old girls!  Nevertheless, my target is to do 3 or 4 years only then finish for good.  Hopefully, we will have matured the business to enable this, we shall see.

Well, that's it for now.  I fully intend to take my good camera on the next trip so words will be inter-spaced with some nice pictures.