Sunday, 3 April 2011

Marine Diesel Engine and Boat Maintenance

Run by TB training (Tony Brooks of course), a very useful introduction. I did think I would have liked to have done this prior to buying the boat, but to do so would have limited the value because you do need some basic prior knowledge, although I am sure Tony would have got over that problem if necessary.

So, what did it include?

Diesel Fuel Systems, a very thorough grounding including some interesting stuff about sedimentors and agglomerators - I will look at this when I get to the boat.

Diesel bug was also considered in some detail as well as how to remove water from the fuel tank.  I will be buying some fuel set and planning a water removal (if any exists) operation to the fuel tank.  I am going to use a Pela 6000 which is an oil extractor pump.  With a bit of extra bits, I expect to remove any water and also identify if the diesel bug exists in my tank.  If it does then Marine 16 and thereafter regular Fuel Set will be my line of attack.

A set of simple tips and tricks have also been noted, not least putting the dipped end of the dip stick onto the back of your hand for a more accurate reading - simple!

Bleeding an engine was included as well as all I need to deliver an engine service.  As the boat engine is under warranty, I will leave the servicing to Aqua for now, safe that I can do it myself when needed.

What I really do need is the full engine manual for the engine so I will do a bit of Googling once I have the engine type (un marinised name that is).

Lots of advice on oil types and how to read the types and find the best for the boat.

The course also included the practical work involved with engines by having three bench engines actually on site, see these!



We had these running and did various jobs from oil and fuel filter changes to bleeding the diesel to changing belts to engine electric fault finding as well as how to start an engine without a key - so easy when you know how.

We also looked at changing the stern gland packing whilst the boat is in the water.  Domestic water systems, electrical systems, drive lines, Galvanic corrosion, hulls and props and cooling systems were all discussed over the two days at Beeston (was this weekend).

An excellent course and recommended to anyone with limited marinised motor engine experience, just a shame I cannot make the electrical course in a couple of weeks.

The course does not qualify me to do much more than fault find and some basic servicing - that's enough for me given I have RCR cover.